Friday, April 29, 2011

Do You Drive Like That Around Your Kids?

Before I start, just wanted to point out the new share button on the left side of this page above the "About Me" section.  Now you can share your favorite posts with friends on facebook and twitter!!



No one follows the rules of the road anymore. 

Before you get all defensive, take a moment and really think about it.  Can you honestly say that you obey ALL the rules of the road, ALL of the time?  If you answered yes, I still don't believe you.

As most of you know, I ride a bicycle as my primary form of transportation.  I put myself at great risk on an almost daily basis by sharing the road with hundreds of distracted, tired, lazy, careless and just plain stupid people.  And I'm not talking about my fellow cyclists.



Driving is not a right.  It is a privilege.  When you obtain a driver's license, you agree to abide by the rules set forth by the state in which you are driving.  They are not rules that are meant to be followed some of the time, or when cops are around, or when you feel like it.  They are meant to be followed ALL THE TIME!!!

Do you drive like that around your kids?  Is that how you want other people to drive around your kids?  Is that how you want your kids to drive?  These are just a few of the things I say to people when they almost hit me with their cars.  In order to ask these questions, I chased a woman down Foothill Boulevard for a mile after she came within inches of hitting me one day last year. 



















She seemed shocked that I confronted her, and explained that she hadn't seen me and that she was sorry.  I asked her if those words would make her feel better if someone said them to her after hitting her daughter.  Because I didn't think my husband or parents would be very comforted by them.  I told her she would have been really sorry if she had hit me, or killed me.  How can you be so sorry about it, when you could have so easily prevented it? 

Two and a half years ago, I was hit while cycling in Pasadena.  I was on my way to meet my husband about a mile away.  I was not wearing a helmet.  The car was only going about 15 mph.  I was thrown face first into the middle of the street.




After that accident, I didn't ride for almost a year.  It took a few months to physically recover, but it was the psychological scars that prevented me from riding.  I felt utterly betrayed by humankind after the driver who hit me sped away and several other drivers drove around me while I was lying in the street.  After a lot of time and a very cautious transition, I bought a new bicycle AND a new helmet and began to ride again.  I have never ridden without a helmet since then.  And I make it a point to proselytize for driver and cyclist safety. 

I want to address some of the most commonly ignored rules of the road.  They might seem simple and harmless little violations, but it really doesn't take much to seriously injure someone.

Distracted Driving
We are all aware of the real dangers that distracted driving poses, and yet everyday I see several  people on their cell phones while driving.  Is there a phone call or text message that is worth causing an accident and potentially injuring or killing yourself, your loved ones or anyone at all, for that matter?  I don't think so.

Unfortunately, distracted driving can occur even when using wireless technology like bluetooth.  Simply having a conversation distracts you to the point where you are not 100% focused on the task of driving.  And when you are behind the wheel of a vehicle, that is the only task that matters.

Coming To A Complete Stop
Red lights and stop signs are signals for drivers to STOP.  Always.  Even if you are turning right.  While you are allowed to turn right against a red light, you are only allowed to do that after you have come to a complete stop and have yielded to pedestrians and cyclists.

And then there is the matter of where to stop.  You are supposed to stop before the first white line you come to, not in the middle of the crosswalk!  If you can't see intersecting traffic, you are still supposed to stop behind the first white line.  Then you should slowly move forward to spot where you can see intersecting traffic.

Using Turn Signals
It amazes me how many people ignore this one.  It is essential to safe driving as it lets everyone know what you are planning to do.  It takes so little effort, and has such obvious safety benefits. Just turn your damn blinkers on, people!

Speed Limits in School Zones
The speed limit in school zones is 25mph.  Obey it.  Its just that simple.  I don't care where you are going or when you need to be there, it is your responsibility to plan accordingly.  SLOW DOWN in school zones!

Yielding to Emergency Vehicles
It's common knowledge that you have to pull over to the right when an emergency vehicle has its lights and/or sirens on.  That's where the common knowledge ends.  I have observed that several people think that you do not have to stop, but rather, drive slowly in the far right lane.  Another common misconception is that you only have to pull over when the emergency vehicle is travelling in the same direction as you.  You must pull over and come to a complete stop when an emergency vehicle is approaching from ANY direction.
 
Yielding to Pedestrians
You must always yield to pedestrians.  ALWAYS!!  Most intersections have crosswalks, whether or not there are painted lines on the street.  When you see pedestrians standing at the corner waiting to cross the street, you are supposed to STOP and let them cross. 

 It is NEVER okay for a car to be in the crosswalk when there is a pedestrian there.  You must wait until both of the pedestrians feet are out of the street, before driving through the intersection.

Yielding to Cyclists
When you get behind the wheel of an automobile, you are strapping yourself to a potentially deadly weapon.  You are relatively protected by a seat belt, a steel frame and a completely enclosed space.  Cyclists are completely exposed and vulnerable, and they deserve your respect and consideration.

Cyclists have just as much right to be on the road as you do.  Cyclists are allowed to ride in the center of the lane when:  they cannot safely ride against the curb, when they are passing parked cars or when they are travelling at the posted speed limit. 

Keep in mind that cyclists are using tons of muscles all over their bodies to propel themselves, while you are using a couple of muscles in your right leg to control the gas pedal.  Once momentum is lost for a cyclist, it takes a lot of work to regain it.  Don't make cyclists yield to you.  I am constantly forced to slam on my brakes because some jackass wanted to shave a few seconds off his commute by NOT yielding to me.  BTW, slamming on one's brakes while cycling can be extremely dangerous.

In general, just slow down and be respectful of the people with whom you are sharing a road.  Have patience.  How much are a few seconds worth to you? 

Helmets
Cyclists of all ages should wear helmets when riding.  A helmet CAN prevent serious brain trauma and even death.  I was extremely lucky that I was not more seriously hurt in my accident.  My right eye socket has permanent damage and is noticeably different from the uninjured eye.  If I had been wearing a helmet, my facial injuries may have been prevented.  My mom cried when she saw me after my accident and my dad had a hard time looking at me.  No one wants to see their child (even an adult child) hurt or in pain. 

Think about that, the next time you let your child, spouse, roommate or friend ride without a helmet.  In most states there are laws requiring children to wear helmets.  While I am not a fan of laws that infringe on our personal freedoms (seat belts, helmets, etc.), it is still the law.  Parents have a responsibility to teach their children respect for the law of the land in which they live.  No one forces you to live here, you choose to.  That choice implies an agreement to abide by the rules.  So abide.

And if the law isn't enough to get you to comply, then just use an ounce of common sense!  It is obviously safer to wear a helmet!

In Closing
Please drive safely and obey the rules of the road.  Your kids spend 16 years watching how you drive.  Lead by example.  Be the kind of safe driver you would want them to be.  Drive as safely as you would if every cyclist or pedestrian you pass was your child, spouse or best friend.

For all of my readers of faith, you should employ the WWJD method (or similarly faith-appropriate sentiment) every time you get behind the wheel.  For everyone in general, drive the same way you want people to drive around your kids.  Be respectful, courteous, and patient.  It takes such little effort and has endless benefits!

And the next time your kid gives you crap for having to wear a helmet, please feel free to show them my accident pictures!

















No comments:

Post a Comment